Changing your career from one industry to another or from one role to another is a challenging thing indeed.
Here are different, effective ways in which you could do this:
- Don’t get bogged down in thinking that you only have one chance to change career
- A gradual approach to changing your career can work well: “While some people want to radically reinvent their career instantly, it is more realistic to work towards a new career over time.
- The first steps to take when thinking of changing career: Ask yourself the important question of WHY YOU WISH TO HAVE A CAREER CHANGE. Your starting point is to really think about what’s important to you in a career. What sort of working environment do you think you’ll be happy in? What energises you most work-wise? It is a bad idea to do a career change without having thought hard and long on what your new career will result in
- Network with people in your chosen sector
- If you know your destination career, quickly figure out what it takes in terms of hard and soft skills to do well in that career, and also how to acquire these if you do not have them already
- Just dont jump into a field because it is the hottest thing at the moment
- Dont get into a field because your friend is doing well in that
- Check out if there are specialist job search agencies for your chosen career destination; approach them to get insights into the field as well as to explore correct opportunities
- Take your time and don’t make overnight career switches
- A great way to get a good career change is to focus on networking with the right people than go after job sites and job consultants.